June 29th, 2016
Today’s recipe is for those days when you just want to take a spoon to the jar of almond butter. Or peanut butter, cashew butter… you know, whichever.
But we all know how well that turns out. You think you’re just going in for a taste, but pretty soon one spoonful turns to standing in the kitchen with the jar in one hand and the spoon in the other, still trying to decide what you’re going to have for dinner.
Oh, that’s never happened to you? Well this is embarrassing…
Regardless, this is one of those recipes I love having on hand for when the mood strikes. It is so simple and so easy to throw together that you can be eating these Almond Butter Bites in less than a half hour from start to finish. Though I do highly recommend eating them after being refrigerated [or even frozen] for an even better snack!
Now please excuse me while I get back to deciding what’s for dinner…
- ½ c. almond butter
- ¼ c. milk of choice [I use cashew milk]
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 c. almond flour
- ¼ c. Swerve sweetener (or sugar/sweetener of choice)*
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- Using a hand or stand mixer, combine first four ingredients - almond butter, milk, egg and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all dry (remaining) ingredients.
- Slowly mix dry ingredients in to wet, until just combined.
- Pour mixture into a greased or parchment paper-lined 9x9 inch glass baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 mins.
- Let cool completely. Store in fridge or freezer for best results.
I find these bars the best when taken out of the oven on the shorter side of the bake time - once they cool completely and set in the fridge, they will be the perfect consistency! Cooked longer will give a slightly more cake-y texture.